Sunday, August 18, 2013

Keeley's Poncho





This poncho is done in the V-Stitch although it is hard to tell from the photo. 

 
MATERIALS:
Yarn - 4 ply worsted weight
I used Red Heart Super Saver Yarn in Wedgewood Multicolor.



Hook - 6.00mm or J hook

I made this ponch to fit a 6 year old. However, as it will also fit over my head, you could make it to fit older children and adults just by adding more rows on the bottom.


Abbreviations used:
st - stitch
ch - chain
ss - slip stitch
sc - single crochet
dc - double crochet
beg - beginning
tog - together
Vst - V-Stitch
                   


  How To Make the V-Stitch - a V-Stitch is 1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc made in the same space.

Note: If you are having problems understanding the instructions, I have drawn up some diagrams that show the stitches. You can download and enlarge to make them easier to see.







Variation: The photo below is a version of Keeley's poncho that I made for adults. (Thanks to my daughter, Farrah, for modelling it for me) It is more open and light as I used a larger hook, 7.00 mm. I started with 60 chains, rather than 72, but the 72 is fine if you want a looser neck opening. With 60 sc on RND 1, you will have to omit one V-Stitch between each point on RND 3. 

This poncho seemed to be coming out too wide for me (however, the original for Keeley worked out fine), so I stopped doing the V-Stitch increases at the shoulder points after RND 8. I continued making the V-Stitch increases at the front and back points on every second RND as per the instructions. (If you have wider shoulders, you will have to keep increasing at the shoulder points for a few more rounds. )
I made the poncho to fit myself, however as my daughter is taller than I am, the poncho is a few inches shorter on her. You can make it any length you want.
The photo is not that clear, I think my old digital camera is ready to be replaced.  

Ch 72, ss to join (be careful not to twist the chain), ch 1 

RND 1 - 1 sc in each ch, ss to join. (72 sc)
 

RND 2 - Ch 4 & 1 dc in first sc, skip 2 sc, *1 dc, ch 1, 1 dc (V-Stitch)
in next sc, skip 2 sc* repeat from * to * 3 more times. In next sc V-Stitch, ch 1, V-Stitch (this is a V-Stitch increase - it makes first shoulder point) Skip next 2 sc, (V-Stitch in next sc, skip next 2 sc) 5 times. In next sc V-Stitch, ch 1, V-Stitch (this is a V-Stitch increase - it makes the front point) Skip 2 sc, (V-Stitch, skip 2 sc) 5 times. In next sc, Vst, ch 1, Vst (this is a V-Stitch increase - it makes second shoulder point), skip next 2 sc (Vst in next sc, skip 2 sc) 5 times. In next sc, Vst, ch 1, Vst (this is a V-Stitch increase - it makes the back point), ss to join to the 3rd ch of the ch 4 at beg.
 

RND 3 - ss in ch1 space of 1st Vst, ch 4 & 1 dc in first Vst, Vst in next 5 Vsts, Vst in the ch 1 space of shoulder point (you don't do a Vst increase here) . Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst in ch 1 space, Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst in the ch 1 space of next shoulder point (don't do a Vst increase here), Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst in ch 1 space of back point, Vst in next Vst, ss to join to 3rd ch of ch 4 at the beg.
 

RND 4 - ss in ch 1 space, ch 4 & 1 dc in first Vst, Vst in next 5 Vsts, Vst increase in Vst at the shoulder point, Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst increase at front point, Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst increase in the Vst of shoulder point, Vst in next 7 Vsts, Vst increase in next Vst of shoulder point, Vst in in next 7 Vsts, Vst increase at back point, Vst in next Vst, ss to join.
 

Alternate Rnds 3 & 4 - every second row you Vst increase at all points. The Vst count between the points will increase with every new Rnd. Do as many Rnds as you need to make the poncho the desired length, end with a Rnd 4. On the poncho I made, I did 28 Rnds of Vsts.
 
Fringes - Cut a piece of cardboard that is 3 and a half inches in length and about 4 or 5 inches wide. Wrap yarn aound the cardboard and cut at the bottom. I would only make 9 or so fringes at a time as I found it hard to handle if I made anymore. Attach a fringe to each ch 1 sp of each Vst. To attach fringe, fold the yarn in half and push the folded end down through the ch 1 space, pull the loose ends through the loop of the folded end.
 
Tie - Make a chain the desired length, then sc in each ch. Weave it through the first row of Vsts.

No comments:

Post a Comment